Lake Como Italy
Visit One of the Deepest, Bluest Lakes in Europe
The beautiful Lake Como, Italy is nestled in the Northern region of Lombardy and snuggled in the base of the Alps mountains. The lake's surface is located 198 metres (650 feet) above sea level and it is around 430 metres (1410 feet) deep - making it one of the deepest lakes in Europe. Lake Como in Italy is known for its unique shape - the letter Y, only upside down and also for the amazing scenery that surrounds it. It is a popular tourist haven, drawing people from all over the world who flock here and bask in the natural landscapes and visit many popular vacation destinations around the area. There is never a shortage of activities to keep you busy while visiting Italy, Como lake especially - manages to pique the interest of every tourist that comes through here.
Lake Como Italy - Weather
When visiting Italy, Lake Como weather variation and variety of conditions can be expected throughout the year. From blistering heatwaves in the summers to frosty cool air with white mountain tops in the winters. Below is a 7-day weather forecast for Province of Como. More Italy weather...
LAKE COMO WEATHER
More About Lake Como Holidays
The amazingly blue, crystal clear, glacier waters of Lake Como in Italy, make it a perfect place for water sports. Boating is one of the most popular activities here and various types of vessels can be rented by the day all along the perimeter of the lake. Another option for the boating enthusiast is a guided boat tour. These tours traverse about Lake Como and provide amazing views of the lakeside towns and villages from the water side, an opportunity you would never have by keeping your feet on dry land.
Below are just a few small communes along Lake Como, Italy which are worth seeing while visiting this northern region on your next Italian Vacation:
- Bellagio: This tiny town on the shore of Lake Como, houses many luxurious villas overlooking the crystal-blue waters. It is also known for its Tower of the Arts, which holds many exhibits and performances. Its cobblestone streets and sweeping views of the lake make it a popular destination for tourists from all over the world.
- Como: The town of Como is one largest and most popular tourist destinations in the area. It is filled with many cafes, lively dining options, and plenty of places to explore around the harbour. The beautiful Como Cathedral, the Basilica di Sant’Abbondio, the Como Archaeological Museum are just a few of the famous sites this town has to offer.
- Menaggio: Located on the west side of Lake Como and also one of the largest towns around here. Many might agree that Menaggio is of the most beautiful communes in the area and is a perfect home-base while enjoying everything this amazing lake has to offer. Piazza Garibaldi is essentially the hub of the town with abundance of cafes, bars and restaurants - all filled with a sense of life and excitement. Menaggio played an important historic role in the First & Second World Wars, and there are many tours and excursions you can embark on to learn more, plus visit famous and significant sites as well.
- Tremezzo: This small community of approximately 1,300 people, sits on the western banks of Lake Como where one can visit the numerous beautiful villas that this region it's famous for. Villa Carlotta is one of the most visited villas and contains beautiful botanical gardens on its grounds. During the spring and summer months, visitors can walk the garden paths and enjoy the mesmerizing beauty.
- Varenna: This beautiful town, that was founded by fishermen in 769 BC and is one of the area’s most well preserved. Medieval architecture can be seen around every corner and walking the Lovers Walk (Passeggiata degli Innamorati) will give you a romantic tour from the ferry to the city centre.
- Brunate: This commune is located high above the town of Como on Mount Boletto. It is renowned for its funicular train that travels up the mountainside to take visitors here from the below situated Como. This town is the perfect place to take in the spectacular views of the surrounding lake and mountains, or to just relax and breath in the fresh mountain air.
With endless sites to see and attractions to visit, a trip to Italy - Lake Como especially, should be on every Italy visitors' to-do list. Best known for its mesmerizing beauty, majestic mountain and amazing lake views - a getaway to this region is sure to please every traveler and create some amazing memories to bring back home. And don't forget to visit a Lake Come beach, which can be quite spectacular during warm summer days.
Map of Lake Como & Train Tips
Below you'll find a map of Lake Como with nearby train stations, water transportation, popular attractions, lodging options and much more. Reaching this destination by train is easily done from Venice and Milan to the local station: Como San Giovanni and Chiasso.
Stay Informed with the Train-Travel-Italy Newsletter