Lake Como Italy
Nestled in the Northern regions of Italy, snuggled in the base of the Alp mountains, sits beautiful Lake Como. This lake is known for its unique shape, like the capital letter Y and also for the lovely scenery that surrounds it. It is a popular tourist haven, drawing people from all over the world who flock here to bask in the natural landscape and visit the areas many tourist attractions. There is never a shortage of activities to keep you busy sound Lake Como and every visitor is sure to find something that piques their interest.
The crystal clear, glacier waters of this lake make it a perfect place for water sports. Boating is one of the most popular activities and boats can be rented by the day at reasonable rates at locations all along the perimeter of the lake. Another option for the boating enthusiast is a guided boat tour. These tours traverse Lake Como and provide amazing views of the lakeside towns and villages from the perspective of the lake, an opportunity you would never have by keeping your feet on dry land.
Lake Como is also boarded by some spectacular towns and villages that should be added to your itinerary and included on your Italy vacation.
- Bellagio - This tiny town on the shores of Lake Como Italy, is perhaps best known for its Tower if the Arts, which holds exhibits and performances. Its cobblestone streets and sweeping views of the lake make it a popular destination for tourists from all over the world
- Varenna - This beautiful town, that was founded by fishermen in 769 B.C., is one of the area’s most well preserved. Medieval architecture can be seen around every corner and walking the Lover's Walk (Passeggiata degli Innamorati) will give you a romantic tour from the ferry to the city center
- Como - The town of Como is one of the area’s most popular tourist destinations. The beautiful Como Cathedral, The Basilica di Sant’Abbondio and many interesting museums (like the Como Archaeological Museum) are a few of the famous sites this town has to offer
- Tremezzo - This small community of only approximately 1,300 people, sits on the western banks of Lake Como where one can visit the numerous beautiful villas that this region is famous for. Villa Carlotta, one of the most visited villas, contains beautiful botanical gardens on its grounds and during the spring and summer months, visitors can walk the garden paths and enjoy the beauty that can be found here
- Brunate- Renowned for the funicular train that travels up the mountainside to take visitors to this town, Brunate is located high above the town of Como on Mount Boletto. This town is the perfect place to take in the majestic views of the surrounding lake and mountains or to just relax and breath in the fresh mountain air.
With endless sights to see and attractions to visit, a trip to Lake Como should be on every Italian visitors to-do list. Best known for its natural beauty and majestic mountain and lake views, a getaway to this region is sure to please every traveler and create some amazing memories to bring back home.
Stay Informed with the Train-Travel-Italy Newsletter