Visit One of the Most Romantic Lakes in Italy
Located in the Lombardy region and sourced from the Oglio river, this lake region is known for its laid back atmosphere and the beautiful landscapes that surround it. Lake Iseo is less known by tourists and is more of a destination for locals, resulting in fewer crowds and less congestion. Anyone visiting Iseo Lake will find endless activities to keep them busy and ample time to rest and relax.
More About Lake Iseo Italy
Lake Iseo Italy is nestled between two cities in the region with a quiet, romantic setting which are Brescia and Bergamo. Here are some of the most popular activities and attractions to engage in while visiting Lake Iseo - Lombardy region:
- Hiking - This area is the perfect spot for those who like to hike the great outdoors. Trails like the Punta Almana offer experienced hikers a mountain path with views of the lake and the surrounding alps. Another popular hiking spot is in the Riserva Naturale Torbiere del Sebino. This nature reserve and wetland is home to protected species of plants and animals. There is also a walking trail surrounding the park which offers hikers an inside glimpse of these animals in their natural habitat.
- Skiing - Some of Italy’s best ski resorts are located near Lake Iseo - Lombardy region. Surrounded by hillside slopes and mountains, this area is bustling in the winter months with many avid skiers and snowboarders. Montecampione is just a short drive from Iseo Lake and is a favourite resort among the locals.
- Biking - Mountain biking enthusiasts will love the trails that weave their way through the forests and hillsides that surround the Iseo Lake. One of the most famous of these paths is the 40 mile trail, called the Giro del Lago, around the perimeter of the lake. This lengthy trail takes approximately four hours to complete even for experienced bikers.
- Castello di Grumello - Just outside the Lake Iseo area is the town of Grumello del Monte which is home to the Castello di Grumello. This castle was built in the middle ages and is still well preserved today. Tours of the castle offer an inside look into life as it was during the medieval times. Grumello del Monte is also well known for their wineries which produce hundreds of thousands of bottles of wine each year.
- Monte Isola - In the middle of Lake Iseo, is a large landmass called Monte Isola. This island is only reachable by boat and ferries and tours run frequently intervals from the mainland. This island is home to a medieval castle and many antique churches, and it's a beautiful place to visit while touring the Lake Iseo region.
- La Spiaggetta - The “Little Beach” is a small park area located on the waters of the lake and is a great place to kick back and relax after a day of touring. There are snack vendors available to grab a quick bite to eat while you sit and enjoy the perfect view of the lake.
Italy is abundant in lakes and lakeside towns but if you are looking to get away from the busy tourist spots and find a quieter place to enjoy the scenery that this country has to offer, then Lake Iseo is the place for you!
Other Popular Lakes in Italy
Lake Iseo Map & Train Tips
Below you'll find a map of Lake Iseo Italy with nearby train stations, water transportation, popular attractions, lodging options and much more. Reaching this destination by train is easily done from Milan or Verona to the local stations at Bergamo or Brescia. Refer to the Italy train map for an overall glimpse of the country's railway system.
Subscribe to Train Travel Italy Newsletter