Map of Italy
A Closer Look at the Italian Geographical Features
Looking at the map of Italy, we see is a boot-shaped peninsula jutting out of Southeastern Europe towards the Mediterranean Sea and also bordering with Slovenia, Austria, Switzerland & France in the Northern Italian regions. Having the location privilege, Italy enjoys a long Mediterranean coastline with it’s pleasant, temperate & seasonal climate.
The Alps mountain range form most of Italy's northern border while enclosing the Po and Venetian plains. The Apennine Mountains make up most of Italy's backbone and span pretty much the entire length of the country starting from the Po Valley and running south where we have the rest of the Italian peninsula. There are also two large islands which also happen to be regions, they are Sicily and Sardinia.
Basic Italian Map Information
- Population of Italy is about 61 million people
- There are 109 provinces in Italy
- Italy is homes the world's smallest state, which is Vatican City
- San Marino is also in Italy and it is the 3rd smallest European country
- The longest rivers flowing through Italy are Po, Adige, Arno & Tiber
- Italy is home to 55 UNESCO World Heritage sites - the most in the world
- Area of Italy takes up approximately 301,340 sq. km or 116,350 sq. mi
- The highest point - Monte Bianco is 4,810 m or 15,780 ft above sea level
- Italy's longest river - the Po is 652 kilometres or 405 miles long
- Italy is home to more than 1,500 lakes
Some Italian Map Options on Amazon
More About the Map of Italy
If travelling through Italy by car - use the handy Italy road map to help guide you along. Furthermore, you'll want to make sure your GPS unit is loaded up with the latest Italian map, your rental car is equipped with a navigation system or you have data on your mobile phone to use such apps as Google Maps to assist in navigating to the next destination.
When enjoying the comfort and style of train travel, please refer to the Italy train map to help plan your route and itinerary. For taking a closer look at Italy - one region at a time, please refer to the map of Italy Regions.
Related to Map of Italy at the AppStore
Italy culture is rich and offers many options for immersing yourself in a colourful world of great human achievements & manifestation that make Italy what it is
Knowing some Italian will be helpful during your trip. Why not stock up on some common Italian phrases, and don't forget a few jokes which will break the ice.
When it comes to fun facts about Italy the list goes on and on. Their culture dates back to the ancient times and has influenced the western world a great deal.
What do we mean by a touch of Italy? We believe it is the sense of timeless beauty, open hearts, and endless soul food for the hungry eyes of every traveller.
Looking at the history of Italy, one will soon realize its deep roots & many events that take us through the Ancient Period, the Middle Ages and the modern era
Subscribe to Train Travel Italy Newsletter
Leave a Page Comment & Subscribe to Stay Informed