San Vito Lo Capo
A Mesmerizing Sea-Side Town in Northern Sicily
Take a moment to imagine the beauty of a seaside town, with mountain peaks watching over in the background, beautiful sandy beaches, a warm climate and endless historical and modern sites to explore. If this is appealing to you, and sounds like the perfect addition to your Italy vacation, then a stop in San Vito Lo Capo is definitely for you.
Popular Activities in San Vito Lo Vapo
This coastal city sits in North-Western Sicily and is surrounded by water on one side and Mount Monaco on the other. It’s a popular tourist destination with so much to see and do.
- Rock Climbing and Hiking - One of this town's biggest attractions is its hiking trails and vast amount of things to climb. The mountains that surround this city are the perfect location for both the beginner and advanced climbers and the trails that weave their way through the scenic hillsides are perfect for hiking. There are numerous different tours and lessons that one can sign up for to explore these mountains with the experience of a trained guide.
- Beaches - This northern Sicilian town is also very well known for its numerous beaches. Stretches of white sands and calm waters are perfect for soaking up the sun and taking a dip. Some of the most notable beaches include: Spiaggia San Vito Lo Capo, Macari Beach and Lido Sabbione.
- San Vito Lo Capo Lighthouse - This lighthouse sits at the very western tip of the town. It was built in 1859 and stands 38 meters high. It is still in use today and flashes a white beam of light, every five seconds, and a red beam of light, every four seconds to warn incoming ships that there is land ahead.
- Santuario de San Vito - This small church was built in the 17th century and although not as large as others in the area, it is definitely worth a visit. Located in the centre of the square it is a quaint location that has many artifacts on display.
- Boat Tours - Another fantastic way to spend the day and take in all of the sights that this region has to offer is to tour the coast by boat. There are many different tour companies that operate out of this area and offer sightseeing tours or lunch and dinner cruises. Viewing this city by boat gives a whole new perspective to the size of the water and the mountains which surround it, plus its an excellent way to get some sun on your face and some salt in your hair.
If a more laid back atmosphere is on your Italy trip agenda then some time spent in this amazing little town is just what the doctor ordered. Although tourism is one of the city’s main industries, it lacks the high speed pace that other cities are known for. This wonderful location off the coast of Sicily is sure to bring some peace, relaxation and sun to your vacation.
San Vito Lo Capo Train Tips & Map
There are many different ways to get here and once on the island of Sicily, travelling to the vicinity of San Vito Lo Capo by rail is one of the options. Although, the town itself doesn't have train service - the nearest station is located approximately 40km away in Trapani which offers Intercity and Inter-Regional trains. From there a car can be rented or you can take a bus to complete your journey here. Refer to the Italy train map for an overall glimpse of the country's railway system.
Subscribe to Train Travel Italy Newsletter