Enjoy the Sun on the Largest Mediterranean Island
There are so many reasons to visit the region of Italy that is sometimes referred to as the ball that is being kicked by the Italian boot. This large Island located at the very toe of the peninsula is known for its unique and rich heritage, family focused culture and fresh and tasty cuisine. It also contains some spectacular Sicily beaches, sought after by many travellers - including Italians who flock here to spend their August vacations. No trip to this region would be complete without some time spent enjoying the sun, sand and waves.
Most Popular Sicily Beaches
Although all of Sicily's beaches are beautiful and have something unique to offer every traveler, there are a few that definitely stand out and are worth mentioning:
- San Vito Lo Capo beach (or Spiaggia di San Vito lo Capo) - This beautiful beach is a wonderful place for those vacationers looking to spend their time exploring. Along the coast, beach goers will find hidden caves and grotto and it is the perfect location for snorkeling through the coral reef. It is also a top destinations for chefs from around the world who come here every year for the annual cous cous festival where recipes are shared and visitors can sample some of their delicious cous cous fare.
- Cala Mosche - Has been voted one of Italy’s most beautiful beaches and it’s no wonder why. Located down a secluded path, a fifteen minute walk away from civilization, this beach is centered between two high, rocky cliff ledges which means that even on the windiest of days, the sea is calm. This little known beach is usually only frequented by locals, making it the perfect place to kick back and relax, without the crowds that other, more tourist centered locations may have.
- Mondello Beach - Located just a short drive from Palermo and offers both public and private beaches along its coastline. Public beaches are usually more crowded while the private beaches offer more luxuries and fewer people for a moderate fee. This beach is the perfect location for those looking to soak up the sun and enjoy some nightlife, entertainment and fine dining. Along the beach there are many different restaurants and entertainment spots, the perfect way to end a day by the seaside.
- Cefalu - This beachside town is an excellent vacation spot for families or for those looking to mix sunbathing with sightseeing. The beach here is beautiful, with miles of white sand to enjoy and the town itself is quaint and contains all of the amenities that one could wish for. There is also a lookout point, called La Rocca, that offers beautiful views of both the town and the Tyrrhenian Sea.
- Lido Fiori - If your Italy trip has you visiting some of the local vineyards, a trip to Selinunte should be a top priority on your trip itinerary. When visiting here, be sure to take the short drive to Lido Fiori, one of the nicest beaches in the area. This beach has calm waters, making it perfect for families as well.
No trip to this amazing island region is complete without spending some time relaxing on one of the many beautiful Sicily beaches. With so many idyllic spots, it may be hard to choose just one. No matter which one you select or how many you visit, one thing is guaranteed - you are sure to leave well rested and stress-free.
Subscribe to Train Travel Italy Newsletter